LP-Gas Plumber and ACR Contractor Exempt Registration FAQs

Will I be reminded to renew my card?

Yes. The Commission mails each current registrant a reminder letter around March 1 each year.

I’ve missed the deadline for renewal. What do I do now?

Any renewals processed after May 31 will incur a $20 late penalty in addition to the $20 renewal fee. We recommend the $40.00 payment be made online at www.propane.tx.gov; fax the receipt (and your renewal letter) to 512-463-7292 to expedite the process.

Can I renew online?

No. However, you can click here to make a renewal payment online. A copy of the payment receipt and the renewal letter MUST be faxed or mailed to the Commission in order to process the renewal.

Who is eligible to register for an exemption?

Individuals who hold a current master or journeyman plumber’s license issued by the Texas State Board of Plumbing Examiners or a current Class A or Class B Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Contractor’s license issued by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation are eligible to register with the Railroad Commission to perform LP-gas activities that would otherwise require a Railroad Commission Category D LP-gas license.

What activities does an exemption cover?

The exemption allows the individual to sell, service, and install LP-gas containers, except motor fuel containers; service, install and repair LP-gas piping and certain LP-gas appliances as defined by rule, excluding recreational vehicle appliances and systems and motor fuel and recreational vehicle systems; and sell, service, install and repair LP-gas containers, systems and appliances in manufactured homes.

Can my employees work under my exemption?

No. An exemption is specific to the individual named on the registration card.

What is the difference between a Railroad Commission license and an exempt registration?

The Railroad Commission issues LP-gas licenses only to companies. The Commission registers individuals who meet the qualifications described above and wish to perform LP-gas activities in Texas.

How do I apply for a registration?

To register submit a Form 16B, a copy of your master or journeyman plumber’s license issued by the Texas State Board of Plumbing Examiners or your Class A or Class B Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Contractor’s license issued by the TDLR, a copy of your Texas driver’s license and the $50 application fee.

I’ve recently left my company. How do I change my address and phone number?

To update an address or phone number, please call us at 800-64-CLEAR or fax the new information to 512-463-7292.

My card was lost/stolen/damaged. How do I get a new one?

Call us at 800-64-CLEAR to request a new card.

I’ve accidentally sent in CNG form 1016B instead of LPG form 16B. What do I do now?

Resend the correct form with a check or money order for the correct fee.

Can I pay by credit card?

Yes. Credit card payments can be made online by clicking here.

Do you take credit cards over the phone or by mail?

No. For security reasons, we do not accept credit card information over the phone, fax or mail.

How much is the registration fee?

The initial application fee is $50.

Do I need a Railroad Commission Category D license?

A Category D license is required if your company has one or more employees who hold a Railroad Commission LP-gas certification (e.g., service and installation) and perform LP-gas activities, but do not hold a master or journeyman plumber’s license or ACR contractor’s license.

What is my “LPG license number”?

The LPG license number field on Form 16B applies only if your company holds a Railroad Commission Category D LP-gas license. If this does not apply to you, simply leave the field blank.

How long does it take to get my card?

If all of the required documentation and payment has been submitted, it should take no longer than one week. During our peak annual renewal period (March-June) it may take up to 2 weeks.

Do I need to display anything on my work vehicle?

No. The Commission does not have any vehicle identification requirement for exempt registrants.

Does an exempt registrant have to show proof of insurance?

No. However, you must comply with the insurance requirements set out by TDLR and the Texas State Board of Plumbing Examiners.

I’ve got a job starting tomorrow. Is there any way to get my card today?

For applications submitted via mail, email or fax the application will be processed within 10 business days and the card mailed out; temporary cards are not available for these submissions. Individuals that bring their completed application, required documentation and proof of online payment to AFS headquarters in Austin may receive a temporary card if all criteria have been met.

When do I need to renew my card?

All registrations expire at midnight on May 31 each year and must be renewed before that date to remain in force.

How much are the renewal fees?

The renewal fee is $20 per year.